This project is going nodamnwhere.
According to Goodreads, in my plan to read 52 books this year, I’m ten books behind. This is because I have read zero books.
I’m still theoretically in the middle of City of God and Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. But I dropped out of #CivDei weeks ago, and as for the Mackay book, I’d just forgotten how badly you can hurt a fun thing by treating it as a duty. (I shouldn’t even complain: I knew, even intended, that the emotional atmosphere of this project would be one of crimped, arbitrary legalism and chafing self-resentment. Please don’t judge me for that; judging me is my job.)
All this was more or less to be expected; as I’ve said before, I’m not a reader. But at some point I’ve got to break out of this slump. Being behind, even well behind, is one thing – but if I never read anything, then why do I even have a blog?
No, really. I may be aliterate, but that doesn’t mean I’m cut off from all culture; every Saturday night I spend somewhere between four and nine consecutive hours watching genre shows on MeTV. This past Saturday, that included a presentation of the 1943 Phantom of the Opera.
It turned out to be a veritable compendium of things I know, love, or admire: Claude Rains! Opera! Technicolor! A guy sacrificing and sacrificing for somebody who doesn’t know he exists and being incredibly resigned about it! Fritz Leiber’s dad, also named Fritz Leiber (which confuses people)! Hummable music! And, of course, a small but appreciable quantity of Phantomy goodness!
This leads to the following sequence of events:
- I experience a serious relapse of Phantom Phever.
- I attempt a cure by redevouring the work of Anne Myers (plus a bit of Phantom Reviews, for yang).
- Predictably enough, this only makes it worse.
- I get it in my head that I want to read the Leroux novel, because I never have (not in its entirety).
- I bitch and moan to myself because I can’t very well read a book I want to read until I’m done with the books I told everybody I was reading.
- I realize how silly that sounds; I’m a fscking free agent and I can read whatever book I like.
- So there.
Prolly won’t do an intro post or anything “official” like that, since it’s not actually part of the project, but I may write about it if I think of something to say.